Welcome to Gemini!
Mrs Clayton, Gemini Class Teacher and Mrs D'Andrea, Gemini Class Teaching Assistant.
Welcome to Woolaston School. I am very excited to be joining the school this year and especially working in Gemini Class. I know Year One is an important year for the children to transition from Early Years to being ready for Year Two.
As a teacher I understand that children learn in different ways and this is why I set a range of activities to engage all my learners. I encourage the children to use their imaginations and be as creative as they can.
I hope your children have as much of an enjoyable year in Gemini Class as I plan to have and my door is always open for parents/carers to speak to me about their child.
Children in Year 1 throughout the country will all be taking part in a phonics screening check during the same week in June. The test contains 40 words. Each child will sit one to-one and read each word aloud to a teacher. The test will take approximately 10 minutes per child, although all children are different and will complete the check at their own pace. The list of words the children read is a combination of 20 real words and 20 pseudo words (nonsense words).
How can you help your child at home?
• Play lots of sound and listening games with your child.
• Read as much as possible to and with your child.
• Encourage and praise – get them to have a ‘good guess’.
• If your child is struggling to decode a word, help them by encouraging them to say each sound in the word from left to right.
• Blend the sounds by pointing to each one, e.g. /c/ in cat, /p/ in pat, /ng/ in sing, /ee/ in been.
• Discuss the meaning of words if your child does not know what they have read.
Follow this link for lots of resources for parents focused on the phonics we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Follow this link for help with how to pronounce the sounds we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/resources/sound-pronunciation-guide/