Welcome to Gemini!
Mrs Gomersall - Gemini Class Teacher Mon, Tues, Weds
Mrs Clayton - Gemini Class Teacher Thurs, Fri
Mrs D'Andrea - Teaching Assistant
Miss Gibbs - 1:1 Teaching Assistant
Welcome to Year 1! We are all really excited to be teaching year 1 and we are looking forward to working with the children and their families this year. During the partial closure period a significant amount of work has been dome on the learning environment making the classroom engaging and stimulating for the children. Work is also currently being completed on the outdoor learning environment to ensure that this is also an area where we can extend pupils' learning in all weathers.
We are both passionate and experienced year 1 teachers and together with Mrs D'Andrea and Miss Gibbs we will work hard to support your child to ensure they reach their full potential.
How can you help your child at home?
• Play lots of sound and listening games with your child.
• Read as much as possible to and with your child.
• Encourage and praise – get them to have a ‘good guess’.
• If your child is struggling to decode a word, help them by encouraging them to say each sound in the word from left to right.
• Blend the sounds by pointing to each one, e.g. /c/ in cat, /p/ in pat, /ng/ in sing, /ee/ in been.
• Discuss the meaning of words if your child does not know what they have read.
Follow this link for lots of resources for parents focused on the phonics we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Follow this link for help with how to pronounce the sounds we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/resources/sound-pronunciation-guide/
Our PE sessions are on Monday and Wednesday afternoon. Please send your child to school in their PE kit on these days.
A maximum of 2 reading books will be sent home a week and these must be returned on a Wednesday.
Homework will be set on a Friday.
Week Commencing 14.9.20
Draw a picture of your face
Learn the 5 senses - hearing, sight, touch, taste and smell.
Play senses games - can you guess the items by touch, taste and smell
Can you guess what is making the sound