Welcome to Y1/Y2!
Miss Page Mrs Baker
Welcome to our class page!
I am Miss Page and I am really excited to be teaching the new Y1 and 2 class at Woolaston School this year. Mrs Baker will be joining me in class across the year, to support the teaching and learning within the class and help deliver interventions.
We are looking forward to supporting your children this year, to allow them to grow and achieve both academically and socially. We will strive to ensure every child can achieve their full potential and become independent learners, by delivering a wide range of exciting and challenging learning opportunities.
If you have any questions or worries across the year, you can get in contact with me directly using class dojo.
Our PE session is on a Thursday afternoon. Please send your child to school in their PE kit on this day. This will be my PPA time where children are taught by Prostars.
At Woolaston School, we expect children to read reguarly at home to support their development. Children will be sent home with a reading book that matches their current level of development. Please ensure that your child brings there book back in to school to be changed each week.
How can you help your child at home?
• Play lots of sound and listening games with your child.
• Read as much as possible to and with your child.
• Encourage and praise – get them to have a ‘good guess’.
• If your child is struggling to decode a word, help them by encouraging them to say each sound in the word from left to right.
• Blend the sounds by pointing to each one, e.g. /c/ in cat, /p/ in pat, /ng/ in sing, /ee/ in been.
• Discuss the meaning of words if your child does not know what they have read.
Follow this link for lots of resources for parents focused on the phonics we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Follow this link for help with how to pronounce the sounds we learn in school. http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/resources/sound-pronunciation-guide/